So, I've had a Nikon SB26 for close to 15 years now, and received a snazzy new SB800 last Christmas. Both of these flash units have driven me crazy. I have been trying repeatedly to get them to work correctly, and also to give pleasing results, which I know they have a full capability of. After chatting with a friend (thanks Vince!), and my wonderful hubby, and doing some more research, I finally took the time, again, to work with these units today. A super simple subject on an even simpler background.
So, finally I get the units where they are exposing correctly, but my light quality and results are far less than blech:
After tweaking a few more settings, I'm finally getting a bit of drama:
An attempt at backlighting and now I'm getting some texture:
Throw in the second unit and my results are getting more desirable:
I think I'm finally starting to figure out how to work these things. My technique definitely needs some finessing, but I am at least hopeful!
Now that I've figured some of the technical stuff, I can finally play a bit. Get out the gels!
Next on my list is to try and get some good portraits out of them, but I'm thinking I still need a lot of work. Regardless, my subjects are definitely worth it!
The Power of Systems
2 months ago